Holiday-themed circle story
No new homework. Make sure that you have submitted all of your other assignments.
Thursday, December 17, 2015
- Finish showing character writing (handout, 11-12 sentences)
- Edit the I-Remember passage. You will need a total of 2 pages (2.5 if you wrote it on paper) to get full credit. If you do not have this much writing, you probably still do not have enough detail.
- I-Remember (final) due tomorrow. Make sure you have followed the directions from the previous blog entry. The document needs to be printed/highlighted and labeled or completely handwritten/highlighted and labeled prior to the beginning of class. If you print it or hand it in later, it will be considered late.
- Characterization Check-In Quiz
- Showing v. Telling
- Avoid writing short character sketches. Show how the character is. You are not talking to a police sketch artist!
- Be prepared for a characterization quiz when we return
- Your final I-Remember exercise is due Friday! It needs to be printed before class.
Tuesday, December 15, 2015
- Review Tips handout
- I-Remember Showing Project
- You will need to locate the I-Remember Exercise that you added to in class and that you highlighted for telling sentences.
- You will need to expand this exercise into 2 pages (2.5 if you are hand writing your piece)
- You need to start a new document for this exercise. Remember that you are revising, not just making minor edits here and there. If you merely add to what you have, you will be tempted to keep most of your writing the same.
- Choose 3 tips from the handout to make your telling writing into showing writing.
- If you do not have 3 telling sections, think of where you can add information to your new piece.
- You must try 3 different tips. If you use 1 more than once, that is fine, but it will not count towards the 3.
- Highlight where you used the tips, and explain which tip you used. If you are typing, use different colored highlighting with a key at the end. If you are handwriting, highlight and write the technique used in the margin.
- You may still have a little telling here and there--remember you also do not want to overshow--but the majority of your writing should be showing.
- This exercise is due first thing on Friday.
Friday, December 11, 2015
Thursday, December 10, 2015
- Write 3 questions you might ask someone you are first meeting
- Speed Interviewing of other Characters
- Choose one I Remember prompt, and add a paragraph to it. You will be developing this prompt into a full scene in your character's life.
- Finish adding the paragraph to your I-Remember prompt for tomorrow
- Answer the I Remember prompts for your character
- I remember my first vacation...
- I remember my strange uncle...
- I remember when I decided to get a pet...
- I remember...
- Each I Remember should be a paragraph in length
- Complete the I Remember exercises for tomorrow's class