Monday, September 22, 2014

The Poetry of Music

Music as Poetry Assignment

In extending our examination of how music is like poetry, we will be looking at how songs make use of poetic devices.  In order to start this process, there are some steps that you need to complete in class today.

  1. Choose a song that you like.  (It also should be a song that you have access to via YouTube or mp3 file to share.)
  2. Now, make sure that song is school-appropriate.  You may have to find the "clean" version of a song, or you may have to go looking for another one all together.  Run your choice by me if you are uncertain of what school-appropriate means.  Post these lyrics in a reply to this blog post.
  3. Ask yourself if your chosen song has depth to it.  It will need to have some in order to do the second portion of this process, which we will complete in class later on this week.  
  4. Start a set of notes about the song in a Google Doc to be shared with me.
    1. How does this song make creative use of poetic lines?  (Look back to your notes and think back to your most recent poetry assignment--line length, white space, end stop, enjambment, etc.)
    2. How does this song make use of poetic musicality (rhyme, alliteration, assonance, ...maybe even meter)?
    3. **It is not enough to list that something exists in your song.  I expect you to quote specific lines and show that you know what we have been talking about through a sentence or two addressing each quote.**  Go back to questions 1 & 2 and add example lines now..



3 comments:

  1. Reid:POKEMON
    Pokemon Theme Lyrics
    Songwriters: John Siegler;Tamara Loeffler

    I want to be the very best
    Like no one ever was
    To catch them all is my real test
    To train them is my cause

    I will travel across the land
    Searching far and wide
    Each Pokemon to understand
    The power that's inside

    Pokemon gotta catch them all its you and me
    I know it's my destiny
    Pokemon, oh, you're my best friend
    In a world we must defend
    Pokemon, a heart so true
    Our courage will pull us through

    You teach me and I'll teach you
    Pokemon, gotta catch 'em all

    Every challenge along the way
    With courage I will face
    I will battle every day
    To claim my rightful place

    Come with me, the time is right
    There's no better team
    Arm in arm we'll win the fight
    It's always been our dream

    Link:here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick Swane
    "Maps"

    I miss the taste of a sweeter life
    I miss the conversation
    I’m searching for a song tonight
    I’m changing all of the stations

    I like to think that we had it all
    We drew a map to a better place
    But on that road I took a fall
    Oh baby why did you run away?

    I was there for you
    In your darkest times
    I was there for you
    In your darkest nights

    But I wonder where were you?
    When I was at my worst
    Down on my knees
    And you said you had my back
    So I wonder where were you?
    When all the roads you took came back to me

    So I’m following the map that leads to you
    The map that leads to you
    Ain't nothing I can do
    The map that leads to you
    Following, following, following to you
    The map that leads to you
    Ain't nothing I can do
    The map that leads to you
    Following, following, following

    I hear your voice in my sleep at night
    Hard to resist temptation
    'Cause something strange has come over me
    And now I can’t get over you
    No, I just can’t get over you

    I was there for you
    In your darkest times
    I was there for you
    In your darkest nights

    But I wonder where were you?
    When I was at my worst
    Down on my knees
    And you said you had my back
    So I wonder where were you?
    When all the roads you took came back to me

    So I’m following the map that leads to you
    The map that leads to you
    Ain't nothing I can do
    The map that leads to you
    Following, following, following to you
    The map that leads to you
    Ain't nothing I can do
    The map that leads to you

    Oh oh oh
    Oh oh oh
    Yeah yeah yeah
    Oh oh oh

    Oh, I was there for you
    Oh, in your darkest time
    Oh, I was there for you
    Oh, in your darkest nights

    Oh, I was there for you
    Oh, in your darkest time
    Oh, I was there for you
    Oh, in your darkest nights

    But I wonder where were you?
    When I was at my worst
    Down on my knees
    And you said you had my back
    So I wonder where were you?
    When all the roads you took came back to me

    So I’m following the map that leads to you
    The map that leads to you
    Ain't nothing I can do
    The map that leads to you
    Following, following, following to you
    The map that leads to you
    Ain't nothing I can do
    The map that leads to you
    Following, following, following

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elisabeth T
    "Flower
    A beautiful flower by the gates sits for hours
    And for day, she has a dream of being plucked to travel, far away
    She's almost certain he won't come
    She really wants to be the one, that he puts into the hands of his one and only love
    But little does she know, it's almost time for her to go
    Her dream will soon come true, she's about to belong to you

    Flower, flower, don't you worry
    Flower, flower, there's no hurry
    Flower, flower don't you cry
    Your day will come before you die

    The sun was shining bright that day
    Leaves were falling when she lay
    She saw him coming and her heart stopped
    She began to pray
    He took his time and did it right,
    One last flower caught his sight
    He placed her in the center oh the bouquet was so bright

    She didn't think she had a chance
    Good thing he took one last glance
    And the flower got her wish
    It was all for just one kiss

    Flower, flower, don't you worry
    Flower, flower, there's no hurry
    Flower, flower don't you cry
    Your day will come before you die.

    ReplyDelete