- Read excerpt from The Garlic Ballads
- Decide if you like it or not, and choose a passage that you particularly liked or disliked for plot or language.
- Begin writing your criteria for good writing
- Write a list of at least five items that need to be present for you to consider something well-written. These can be related to literary analysis, but they do not have to be.
- Bring in a one-page example of writing that resonates with you, that you like and that fits this particular list of criteria that you are making.