Music as Poetry Assignment
In extending our examination of how music is like poetry, we will be looking at how songs make use of poetic devices. In order to start this process, there are some steps that you need to complete in class today.
- Choose a song that you like. (It also should be a song that you have access to via YouTube or mp3 file to share.)
- Now, make sure that song is school-appropriate. You may have to find the "clean" version of a song, or you may have to go looking for another one all together. Run your choice by me if you are uncertain of what school-appropriate means. Post these lyrics in a reply to this blog post.
- Ask yourself if your chosen song has depth to it. It will need to have some in order to do the second portion of this process, which we will complete in class later on this week.
- Start a set of notes about the song.
- How does this song make creative use of poetic lines? (Look back to your notes and think back to your most recent poetry assignment--line length, white space, end stop, enjambment, etc.)
- How does this song make use of poetic musicality (rhyme, alliteration, assonance, ...maybe even meter)?
- **It is not enough to list that something exists in your song. I expect you to quote specific lines and show that you know what we have been talking about through a sentence or two addressing each quote.** Go back to questions 1 & 2 and add example lines now..